Bachelor in Paradise was suspended last week after producers filmed DeMario Jackson and Corinne Olumpios in a drunk sexual encounter.
The cast and crew landed in Mexico last Sunday and were looking forward to a few weeks of filming — instead, the cast was put on lockdown just 3 days after arriving.
One contestant agreed to speak under condition of anonymity told People that they knew the incident was serious when they were placed on lockdown.
“We were told to stay in a certain part of the [resort] while they figured out what the hell had happened,” the contestant said. “We knew something bad had happened; there was a dark energy that came around the house. You have to understand that we weren’t even there a week. The game hadn’t even really begun yet.”
“They stopped taping anything, and we were just kind of there, waiting in limbo. We couldn’t talk to each other about what we knew. On Thursday, one of the camera guys told me that they were probably going to shut down production. I didn’t realize that it was that serious until then. I was like, ‘wait, they’re thinking of canceling the show?’ It hadn’t even crossed my mind that they’d do that.”
The show producers broke the bad news the following day.
“One of them was crying. She told us that it was over and we’d all be going home.”
As for the future of the season, it seemed highly unlikely that the show could resume production.
“[The producer] was like, ‘I don’t think that’s realistic. She said that there was an investigation going on, and that could take days, weeks or even months. And by that time, we all have lives and jobs and things to go back to, so it just wasn’t going to work out. They told us that we’d be considered for future seasons and opportunities in the franchise, but that this adventure was probably over.”
“We’re pissed that this whole thing happened. They could have stopped this before it got this far.” the contestant tells PEOPLE.